[adegenet-forum] Grouping crossvalidation DAPC

Thibaut Jombart thibautjombart at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 18:50:04 CET 2017

Hi Flo,

sorry about the late reply. I'd make an excuse, but it won't bit "been
busy". In short:

There is no proper solution to the group labelling issue you mention, at
least none that I know if. A workaround I have used alongside other
colleagues uses two statistics, relying on all pairwise comparisons of
individuals in the clusters:
- % of times 2 indiv are in the same cluster when they should
- % of times 2 indiv are in different clusters when they should

The average of the two quantities is I think the rand index:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rand_index

For the second, simple answer: DAPC is *bad* at finding hybrids. For this,
consider using the soon-to-be-published (hopefully) method 'snapclust',
also in adegenet. Doc for this is hidden there:
https://github.com/thibautjombart/adegenet/raw/master/tutorials/tutorial-snapclust.pdf

Lecturer, Department of Infectious Disease Epidemiology, Imperial College
London
Head of RECON: repidemicsconsortium.org
WHO Consultant - outbreak analysis
sites.google.com/site/thibautjombart/