[adegenet-forum] read.genepop (adegenet 2.0.0 with R v. 3.2.1)

Paul Maier maierpa at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 20:15:52 CEST 2015

On closer inspection, it appears the new version stores missing data as
alleles (i.e. *.00 in @tab). So using tab to replace the allele counts
doesn't work. For example, x at tab <- tab(x, NA.method="mean") does nothing
because missing data is stored as normal data. Here's a workaround I
created, although probably not the most clever method, it fixed my problem.
Hopefully this helps someone!
Paul

# Fix missing values to reflect depracated option, missing = "mean"
x at tab <- x at tab[,-grep("\\.00",colnames(x at tab))] #remove "00" alleles
rep <- gsub("([^\\.]+)\\.\\d+","\\1",colnames(x at tab)) #locus names
loci <- unique(x at loc.fac) #unique locus names
x at loc.fac <- as.factor(rep)
for (i in 1:length(x at all.names))
  if ("00" %in% x at all.names[[i]]) #remove "00" from allele names
    x at all.names[[i]] <- x at all.names[[i]][-which(x at all.names[[i]]=="00")]
for (i in 1:length(x at loc.n.all)) #remove "00" from allele counts
  x at loc.n.all[[i]] <- length(x at all.names[[i]])
for (i in 1:length(loci)) { #replace missing data with mean allele counts
  df <- data.frame(x at tab[,which(loci[i] == rep)]) #df, alleles for one locus
  for (j in 1:nrow(df)) {
    if (sum(df[j,]) == 0) {
      for (k in 1:length(df[j,])) { #mean allele counts from rows with data
        df[j,k] <- round(mean( df[which(apply(df,1,sum) != 0),k] ))
      }
      x at tab[j,which(loci[i] == rep)] <- as.numeric(df[j,])
    }
  }
}

Paul Maier