[adegenet-forum] Per locus pairwise Fst

Vikram Chhatre crypticlineage at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 19:31:46 CEST 2014

I am revisiting this topic due to some technical problems.

The task at hand is to estimate pairwise Fst matrices for each locus
separately.

# Genind object is stored in:
gen100_genind

# Use seploc to separate loci:
gen100_seploc <- seploc(gen100_genind, truenames=TRUE, res.type=c('genind',
'matrix')

# Calculate pairwise Fst:
gen100_perLocusPWFst <- lapply(gen100_seploc, pairwise.fst,
res.type=c('dist', 'matrix'), trunames=TRUE)

For a data set consisting of 30 populations, 20 individuals each, 1000 loci
and 2 alleles per locus (1.2 million data points), it takes up to 6 hours
to estimate the pairwise Fst matrix with this method.

Is there any way to speed this up?  Should I look into any other packages?

Many thanks for your time and help.
Vikram