[adegenet-forum] DAPC

Jombart, Thibaut t.jombart at imperial.ac.uk
Thu May 8 16:47:33 CEST 2014

Hello,

this is documented already. Please see ?scatter.dapc and the DAPC tutorial, section 3.3 "Customising DAPC scatterplots".

Also, from ?scatter.dapc, see the arguments:

  grp: a factor defining group membership for the individuals. The
          scatterplot is optimal only for the default group, i.e. the
          one used in the DAPC analysis.

     col: a suitable color to be used for groups. The specified vector
          should match the number of groups, not the number of
          individuals.

     pch: a ‘numeric’ indicating the type of point to be used to
          indicate the prior group of individuals (see ‘points’
          documentation for more details); one value is expected for
          each group; recycled if necessary.

Which answers your question: the groups by default are those used in the DAPC analysis (coming from k-means, or else).

It is unlikely to find classification errors between k-means and DAPC. The scatterplot allows quite a few customizations, but pointing out individual points is not one of them. For this, you will need to identify which points you want to highlight, and then use e.g. "points" or "text". If you look for misclassified individuals, use "predict", which has a method for dapc object. If 'dapc1' is your dapc, then:
##
predict(dapc1)$assign
##

will give you the group prediction, so that

##
which(predict(dapc1)$assign != group)
##

will tell you which individuals are assigned to a different cluster than in 'group' (where 'group' is the reference clustering you want to use).