[adegenet-forum] set.seeds in DAPC

Manuela manuelacorreia2 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 19:51:53 CEST 2014

Hi there,

I'd like to understand  the role of set.seeds and the criteria chosen  in
the DAPC examples according to the two examples presented in the lattested
version of DAPC tutorial.

I used to see set. seeds(N?) in the context of significance as well as
bootstrap Monte Carlo procedures, but not within multivariate techniques or
even with datasets.

At page 20 from DAPC tutorial there is a set. seed(4) before getting the
microbov in two parts. And by the way, what is  20 in the sample(e,20....)?
20 individuals picked at random from all microbov populations?

So, I do have two questions.
One is  "why to use them?" here in these particular examples?
The second one "what criteria were behind the choice of the number 4 in the
former case, and the number 2 in the latter?

How do I know which seed will be the best one for my datased in case I need
to have the loadingplot?

Thanks in advance,
M.