[adegenet-forum] number of alleles using microsatellite data for polyploids

Vojtěch Zeisek vojta at trapa.cz
Tue Aug 26 13:51:15 CEST 2014

Hi,
I'm not sure if it is the point, but there are two common workarounds for
polyploids and microsatellites. First is if one has more ploidy levels, e.g.
tetraploids and hexaploids and used software requires only one ploidy level,
one can add zeroes (or NAs) to „mimic“ the highest ploidy level. In the
mentioned case, the tetraploids would get extra data to look like hexaploids.
I have doubts about that approach.
Second possibility is to recode microsatellites as presence/absence data. This
is particularly useful if the ploidy level is high and one cann't be sure
about the pattern (Do I have 88/88/88/90 or 88/88/90/90? And so on.), PCR can
be sometimes hard to read. Then one has similar problem with too much zeroes
and/or NAs, especially when mixing ploidy levels.
So that the problem can be „How to code my data to keep as much information as
possible for the software.“.
Sincerely,
Vojtěch

--
Vojtěch Zeisek
http://trapa.cz/en/

Department of Botany, Faculty of Science
Charles University in Prague
Benátská 2, Prague, 12801, CZ
http://botany.natur.cuni.cz/en/

Institute of Botany, Academy of Science