[adegenet-forum] simulation engine that will simulate a discrete period of admixture

Aaron.Adamack Aaron.Adamack at canberra.edu.au
Wed Aug 6 12:15:46 CEST 2014

Hi Spencer,
One possibility might be to use the CDPOP program that was developed by Erin Landguth.

A second possibility is I've got some R code that might do the simulation that you're looking for. I wrote a simple individual-based model in R that simulates 2 populations with 50 individuals in each population.  The model tracks individual genotypes (microsatellites). A fixed number of individuals can migrate between populations each time step. Within the populations mating is random. The model outputs all genotypes for the complete simulation. It shouldn't be hard to modify it for larger population sizes, etc.

On the other hand, the program I wrote is quite simple and was done quickly (e.g. 1-2 days). Rather than wasting a day or so figuring out what I did, you could write your own program in R, or if you are using much larger population sizes over hundreds/thousands of years, you'd be better off doing it in fortran or C or some other compiled language in order to get the runtime down to a reasonable length.
-Aaron