[adegenet-forum] help with scaleGEN

Jombart, Thibaut t.jombart at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Sep 18 16:53:53 CEST 2013

Hello,

I think some clarification should help here.

"scaling" means transforming a variable to that its variance is 1. It is usually used to remove the effects of variances inherently different across a bunch of variables (typically because of different units). In genetics, most of the time, I think scaling is a bad idea: all variable have the same unit, and differences in variances are probably meaningful.

missing="mean" refers to the procedure for replacing missing data. They are set to the origin, which is the mean of the corresponding allele frequencies (typically the 'non-informative' point in PCA).