[adegenet-forum] Detecting Genetically Unique Individuals in a Well Mixed Population

Nathan Truelove nathan.truelove at manchester.ac.uk
Thu May 2 22:40:48 CEST 2013

Dear Valeria,

Thank you for your advice and encouragement. I definitely need it working with flat populations! The overall aim of my research is to see if ocean currents are shaping spatial patterns of genetic variation in spiny lobster species. For example, we would like to investigate if individuals are more genetically different to their neighbors in advective oceanographic regions and more genetically similar to their neighbors in retentive regions. I was also interested in trying to figure out if any individuals that are genetically different from their neighbors happen to be immigrants from a distant population. After reading Thibaut's response to my first email it looks like I was heading down the wrong path by trying to force my data into 2 dimensions and basing my identification of 'outliers' based upon distance from the centroid.  Some new techniques are definitely needed to search for the presence of any genetically unique individuals within my data.

I really like your ideas of creating a tree using nj in ape and also using dist.gene in ape to calculate the mean number of pairwise distances of every individual from all others. I took your advice and ran your analyses. The tree in ape had 3 nodes. A long branch in the second node contained 22 individuals and stood out from all other branches. I then calculated the mean of the distances of every individual from all others and it came out to be 41. I sorted out all individuals that where 'arbitrarily' 2X above this threshold and almost all of these individuals also belonged to the branch that stood out in the second node of the tree.

It would be great to get your opinion on these results. Perhaps it would be best if I sent you an image of the tree since it's a little tricky to describe it properly. Just let me know what you prefer. Your advice has been really helpful.

Best Wishes,

Nate