[adegenet-forum] xvalDapc error message

Jombart, Thibaut t.jombart at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Jun 4 12:13:14 CEST 2013

Hello,

In your case, cross-validation is bound to be problematic. The distribution of your groups is:
> table(grp)
grp
 1  2  3  4  5  6  7
24  6  9  4 22 24 33

With large training sets, chances some groups won't be cross-validated - in this case, the devel version now issues a meaningful warning. With small training sets, some groups may not be represented at all, causing the discriminating space to skrink by one or more dimension, and currently causing a more cryptic error. I am still wondering what the best default behaviour should be in this case.

Short solution for you is to specify n.da and fix a value of e.g. 4, so that the dimension of your discriminating space does not have to be determined by the number of groups. But the core problem remain - largely unequal group sizes in overall small dataset are not well suited for cross validation.