[adegenet-forum] Entering a distance matrix

Ian Bradbury ibradbur at me.com
Fri Sep 28 16:32:24 CEST 2012

That worked perfectly.. Thanks alot.

Ian

On Sep 28, 2012, at 09:17 AM, Pip Griffin <pip.griffin at gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Ian,

Here is some code that should help:

# This assumes your distance file is in a tab-delimited table format
# also that it has a header, and that the first column contains the
population names
# (or individual names, if you're looking at pairwise distances
between individuals).

initialtable<-read.table("All Pops Pairwise Distance.txt", header=TRUE)

# Getting the population names from Column 1

popnames<-as.vector(initialtable[,1])

# Converting your dataframe into a matrix
# nb exclude the column that contains the population names, you only
want the distances themselves

initialmatrix<-as.matrix(initialtable[,2:ncol(initialtable)])

# Giving your matrix some dimension names (the population names you
specified just before as a vector)

dimnames(initialmatrix)<-list(popnames, popnames)

#Specifying your matrix as a pairwise distance matrix

distmatrix<-as.dist(initialmatrix)

Best of luck!
Pip Griffin