[adegenet-forum] calculating and presenting sPCA variance components

Jombart, Thibaut t.jombart at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Oct 22 20:19:57 CEST 2012

Hi there,

In general, I'm not a big fan of the % of the total variance as an indication of relevant PCs. With 10 variables, 10% of variance on the first PC is basically what you'd expect at random, so pretty lame; with 10,000 variables, 10% on a single PC is pretty amazing already.

This said, in sPCA it does make sense to compare the variance of a PC to a 'standard'. This standard is given by the first eigenvalue of the PCA, which is, by definition, the linear combination of variables which has the highest possible variance. This is why the summary of spca objects gives information about the sPCA as well as about the equivalent PCA. The variance of the first PC of PCA is also the right hand-side boundary on the rectangle containing eigenvalues in screeplot.spca.