[adegenet-forum] x <- new("genlight"....) hangs

David Wragg plxdw1 at nottingham.ac.uk
Thu Jan 19 21:12:35 CET 2012

Thanks

The "problem" appears to be intermittent on Linux (Ubuntu, 64 bit, 8 GB ram, 4 cores) and not at all present on Win 7 (64 bit, 6 GB ram, 2 cores). It's not a memory issue as I've had system performance metrics running and memory usage rarely exceeded 30%. I expect CPU usage is the root of the problem, or Linux equivalent to a swapfile (if there is such a thing?). Incidently, the following line in the Windows script:

x <- new("genlight", dat, multicore=F)

Was changed to the following in Linux when it "hanged":

x <- as.genlight(dat)

I tried changing the multicore attribute to TRUE and it still "hanged". I expect this is just a coincidence. Ironically the script runs quicker on the older Win 7 machine. I'm quite happy to just run the script on Windows, but it would be nice to get to the root of the problem causing the unpredictable execution of the script on the Linux machine. I'm pretty sure it's going to be down to the way Linux has been configured and nothing to do with the R packages. I'll have to check with a Linux guru for their thoughts!

Regards

Dave