[adegenet-forum] Regarding genetic distance of genind object

Jombart, Thibaut t.jombart at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Apr 11 11:44:51 CEST 2012

Hello,

there is an example of this in the vignette 'adegenet-basics', p.22-23. Basically you want to use:
D <- dist(truenames(yourGenindObject))
tre <- nj(D) # or another clustering algo, see ?hclust

As for the options you mentioned:
- avoid dist(genind) as it would rely on an implicit 'as.matrix' in dist
- distances in dist.genpop are defined for populations, so not available for individual-level data
- dist.genet is deprecated as is everything concerning genetics in ade4 - one day we'll actually put a 'deprecated' message there, but ade4 is a big beast that moves slowly.