[adegenet-forum] question find.clusters and BIC values

Jombart, Thibaut t.jombart at imperial.ac.uk
Tue May 24 09:19:16 CEST 2011

Hi there,

I would not call Evanno et al's approach 'formal', but anyway are approach with find.cluster is fairly ad hoc as well. The idea, somewhat arbitrary, is to look for an elbow in the curve of BIC values. Please have a look at the DAPC paper for examples.

I developed some 'objective' criteria for automated selection of K, but none if these options is 'better' than visual inspection of the data (see ?find.clusters from the devel version).

Cheers

Thibaut.