[adegenet-forum] Population clustering idea

Vladimir Mikryukov vmikryukov at gmail.com
Wed May 4 09:23:10 CEST 2011

Hello,
Please correct me if I'm wrong,
but I think that viewing population differentiation with Fst has many
limitations as well.
Why one should switch from a more robust method (DAPC doesn't care about
Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium and linkage disequilibrium, isn't it?) to the
other (Fst) approach?
Probably it's possible to utilize obtained principal component scores for
that?
Or this method will overestimate the differentiation?

Using other genetic distance measures (especially those which assume
particular mutation model, i.e. IAM or SSM for microsatellites) for the real
data could be tricky as well.

Vladimir.

PS. a brief summary of Fst's assumptions one may find here:
https://anthrogenetics.wordpress.com/2010/10/11/problems-with-fst-based-methods-human-populations-violate-important-assumptions/

Or at least I'll suggest to use bias-corrected differentiation index (Dest)
like in DEMEtics package (see reference). However, in my practice usually it
is highly correlated with Fst (Mantel's r = 0.7 - 0.96)

Gerlach G., Jueterbock A., Kraemer P., Deppermann J., Harmand P.
Calculations of population differentiation based on Gst and D: forget Gst
but not all of statistics! // Molecular Ecology. 2010. V. 19. № 18. P.
3845-3852.