[adegenet-forum] dapc technical definitions

Jombart, Thibaut t.jombart at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Jun 9 11:03:34 CEST 2011

Dear Valeria,

discriminant functions are principal components of DA. I use the first terminology to prevent ambiguity with PCs of PCA, also used in the method.

Eigenvalues indicate the between/within variance ratio of the corresponding discriminant functions. The first eigenvalue is the largest ratio achievable using linear combinations of PCs of the PCA. The sum of the eigenvalues is merely the sum of these ratio computed for all retained variables. It is an indicator of how much between-group variation there is overall in the data, but I've never used this information so far.