[adegenet-forum] Selecting the number of clusters in find.clusters under ever decreasing BIC values

Jombart, Thibaut t.jombart at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Jun 2 18:58:01 CEST 2011

Dear Alastair,

thanks for your questions and the extensive background on your problem. Some of your questions might be covered by the vignette on DAPC which will be part of the next release of adegenet; in the meantime, I uploaded the pdf on adegenet website, section "documents". In particular, see section 2.3 "How many clusters are there really in the data?". It does not exactly address all of your problems, but it is probably worth reading. Essentially, what it says is that clusters are often not biological reality, but merely tools used to describe the data. So the short answer is "there is often no 'true' k". Some of the curves you describe just mean BIC cannot be used to identify the optimal number of clusters - in particular, I would probably consult an exorcist for the normal-looking curve.

Your questions still make sense, of course. Odd shapes of the decrease of BIC can occur for several reasons. The possible explanations I can think of are:
a) there are no clearly identifiable clusters in the data.

b) there are clusters to be identified, but not enough information to disentangle different values of k. In your case this seems very likely: there are few SNPs, and if half of them are specific to one individual they are not informative in terms of clusters.

c) the method does not work for these data; k-means is very flexible, and I would be surprised to see it fail completely where other clustering methods would succeed. However, BIC is by no way the ultimate criterion for choosing k. It gave the best results on a set of simulations, it is fairly consistent statistically, but that's it. I would not be surprised to find some specific cases in which it would give poor results.

One possible approach to your problem is replicate data under a sensible model (e.g. island model, IBD, ...) with similar numbers of SNPs and individuals to what you have, and see how find.clusters performs. This will at least tell you if you can rule out power issues. Easypop (http://www.unil.ch/dee/page36926_fr.html) will allow you to simulate data easily.

Lastly, if clusters make sense and are congruent across different datasets, then you should probably go for a given number of clusters - whatever is useful to describe your data - and explain that identifying the optimal number of clusters was not possible because of insufficient information.

All the best

Thibaut.