[adegenet-forum] significance of clusters

Jombart, Thibaut t.jombart at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Jul 18 11:24:50 CEST 2011

Hello Nikki,

ellipses used in DAPC scatterplots are drawn using ade4's function s.class, and are inertia ellipses. They are merely a graphical tool used to visualize the shape of different clouds of points.

If you assume the distribution in each group a bivariate normal, then these are two-dimensional confidence intervals for the groups, and the size of the ellipses is related to the level of confidence chosen:
p = 1 - exp(-cellipse^2 / 2)
where "cellipse" is the size factor used in scatter.dapc. It defaults to 1.5, so ellipses by default would contain about 2/3 of the points. To get 95% CI, use 2.5. Etc.

However, this is only true for bivariate normal distributions, which can be pretty rare!

So I'd get back to the first answer: they are a graphical tool to assess the distribution of points by group.