[adegenet-forum] Population clustering idea

Jombart, Thibaut t.jombart at imperial.ac.uk
Sat Apr 30 18:56:41 CEST 2011

Hello,

that's a good question. Actually I thought about implementing something along these lines for the dapc scatterplot. I agree with Russell's point that relationships between populations are not necessarily best presented by fully bifurcating trees. However, linking the populations which are the closest according to a given distance measure (e.g. Fst ) does make sense. I would go for a minimum spanning tree, which is a nice way of showing which are the closest neighbours in terms of genetic distances. It won't be too much of a pain to code either.

I will be working on the next adegenet release over the weeks to come, so will probably give it a go soon.