[adegenet-forum] Maximum values for minimum distance neighbouring graph (network graph type 5)

Jombart, Thibaut t.jombart at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Sep 7 13:31:37 CEST 2010

Hello again,

indeed setting the default to zero would yield the same result. The interest of providing the minimum distance, however, is  to be able to define graphs by distance classes. This might be used to investigate spatial genetic patterns at different scales.

About the maximum value, I'm afraid there's no generic answer. What I've done in a data analysis of mammals was considering the distance at which the home-range of the individuals overlapped. For plants, this could be the dispersal distance of a seed. I think in any case a biologically-defined distance would be better in this case. If you find something suitable for your data, don't hesitate to share it on the forum ;-)

Best regards

Thibaut.