[adegenet-forum] PCA using R

Arun V.S. vsarun80 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 24 08:07:38 CET 2010

Dear Thibaut
As you know I am new to R. I may need your help and guidance in between.
while reading the R manual, I prepared an example "CSV file" file similar to my data. I used the following script to do Principal component analysis using "prcomp".

R code starts
> him <- read.csv("him.csv" , header=TRUE)
> him
 row.names(him) <- c("Chn","Dom","Tib","Bod","Gad","Raj","Mal","Gdb","Guj","GdR","Dgr","Pur","Zan","BrB","BrI","Bal","DgB","DaM","GaB","GjM","Chm")
> row.names(him)
> prcomp(him , scale=TRUE)
> plot(prcomp(him))
> summary(prcomp(him, Scale=TRUE))
> biplot(prcomp(him , scale=TRUE))
> plot(him)
End of R code

As a result I got a PCA plot  (attachment 1),  bit similar to PCA done using SPSS.

NOW I want to know :
 1) whether I am travelling in the right direction in R.
 2) if so how to remove the "RED ARROWS" in the Biplot which start from the center and diverge to all directions.
 3) How to include a symbol in the Biplot  and color it.
When compared to other softwares I think R  simple and suitable for my data. I know it will be quite difficult in the begining but I want to learn it. Please help.
Thank you
Sincerely
Arun