[adegenet-forum] AFLP data format

Pfau, Dr. Russell S. PFAU at tarleton.edu
Mon Dec 6 00:25:27 CET 2010

I do appreciate your help...

I had already read the section on presence/absence, and did see the aflp dataset.  And, I can load data *without* the population designation column.  However, I cannot seem to load a dataset with the 2nd column designating populations.  I've read the ?read.table help but found no answers there.  It thinks the 2nd column is a column of alleles (see below...there are 4 loci, but it thinks there are 5).

I think my problem is that I do not know how to use the 'pop' argument in the 'genind' command, below:

pop 	a factor giving the population of each genotype in 'x'

Here are my attempts:

> dat <- read.table("aflp2.txt", header = TRUE)
> dat
      pop loc1 loc2 loc3 loc4
indA pop1    1    0    1    1
indB pop1    0    1    1    1
indC pop1    1    1    0    1
indD pop2    0    1    1    1
indE pop2    1    1    0    0
indF pop2    1    0    1    1
indG pop2    0    1    1    0

> obj <-genind(dat, ploidy=2, type="PA")
> obj

   #####################
   ### Genind object ###
   #####################
- genotypes of individuals -

S4 class:  genind
@call: genind(tab = dat, ploidy = 2, type = "PA")

@tab:  7 x 5 matrix of genotypes

@ind.names: vector of  7 individual names
@loc.names: vector of  5 locus names
@loc.nall: NULL
@loc.fac: NULL
@all.names: NULL
@ploidy:  2
@type:  PA

Optionnal contents:
@pop:  - empty -
@pop.names:  - empty -

@other: - empty -

> obj <-genind(dat, ploidy=2, type="PA", pop=dat at pop)
Error in genind(dat, ploidy = 2, type = "PA", pop = dat at pop) :
  trying to get slot "pop" from an object (class "data.frame") that is not an S4 object

> obj <-genind(dat, ploidy=2, type="PA", pop=truenames(dat)$pop)
Error in function (classes, fdef, mtable)  :
  unable to find an inherited method for function "truenames", for signature "data.frame"

> obj <-genind(dat, ploidy=2, type="PA", pop = dat$pop)
> obj

   ### Genind object ###
- genotypes of individuals -

S4 class:  genind