[adegenet-forum] monmonier

Jombart, Thibaut t.jombart at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Apr 21 11:40:38 CEST 2010

Dear Consuelo,

in Monmonier's algorithm, we seek a path (a boundary) which shows the largest differences between pairs of neighbors. Differences are measured by a genetic distance (in the case of genetic data). If the distance is too faint, then chances are that there is no longer a 'boundary', and then the path should stop. The argument 'threshold' is used to specify this distance at which to stop the path. If it is "1.123", then the path will cross only differences between neighbours greater than 1.123.

As for the plot:
##########
## uses example from the doc:
load(system.file("files/mondata1.rda",package="adegenet"))
cn1 <- chooseCN(mondata1$xy,type=2,ask=FALSE)
mon1 <- monmonier(mondata1$xy,dist(mondata1$x1),cn1,threshold=2)
plot(mon1,mondata1$x1)

## to add a title
title("my title")

## to add text on the locations
par(xpd=TRUE)
text(mondata1$xy[,1], mondata1$xy[,2], 1:70, col="red")

Best

Thibaut.